Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Argentine Tango


About a year or so ago I was gripped. More like swooned, really. I fell face first for it, not that I would admit it at the time. I fell for a dance that made two people effortlessly glide around a space with just enough grit and earthiness to leave me wanting more. I couldn't help but be in awe of the new world unfolding before me, this world of raw sophistication, with all of it's flair and culture; the world of Argentine Tango.



After this initial meet-cute, I found myself oddly attracted to the dance. I went to social tango dances here and there, watching the other dancers move about the room with ease, all the while frustrated by my own uncoordinated feet and an impatient need to master a dance which seemed to be mastering me. 



For various reasons [mostly my inconsistency] I had never actually signed up for a class. All that changed a few weeks ago when I purchased a 10 week introductory Argentine Tango class. Now it was time to face the music, and I am.

Currently, I am in week three (I think) of my introductory course. While I still get very frustrated with myself at my lack of skill, I also witness teeny tiny victories at my skill progression from week to week. Also, now that my eyes are not [constantly] glued to my uncoordinated feet, I get to notice things. I notice the way other dancers feel in my arms, what their dancing styles are, how patient (or impatient) they are, and most importantly I get to notice what I am feeling and learning as I make my way into uncharted waters with every step and pivot.

I cannot wait to continue to share the lessons I learn throughout this Tango experience. Stay tuned.






To dancing, and living,

K










No comments:

Post a Comment