Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cortaditos: The Cuban Coffee that changed everything.

When I taste something new and delicious, which is rare due to my stubborn palate, (sorry mom, you tried) I can't help but brag about it... to everyone.. Come on, like you've never tasted something so perfect you just HAD to tell someone about it?  

Today, I would like to tell you about Cortaditos. A Cortadito or Cafe Cubano is a Cuban Coffee. Unlike American coffee, this coffee is a type of espresso with a lusciously smooth and sweet flavor. There isn't any bitterness in this coffee whatsoever. It is unlike anything I have ever tasted, and it has ruined me for all other coffee. I didn't even experience any of the jitters I usually get when I drink other coffees or espressos. It's a-ma-zing.

As I reminisce about my first encounter with this blessed coffee, I shudder to think that I never would have experienced the stuff if it weren't for a generous soul who urged me to try it.

A few days ago I was in Miami on vacation... don't be jealous. Okay, you can be jealous, it was pretty awesome. The particular area I was in was about 20 blocks from South Beach, and almost entirely made up of hotels. The issue with that is there aren't very many places to eat. My hotel had an overpriced bistro attached to it, so for breakfast I decided to check out a little cafe next to the hotel. Primo Cafe looks like any normal run of the mill pit stop cafe you would find up north- however it definitely had some Miami flair. Outdoor seating, Cuban sandwiches, fresh squeezed orange juice, and spanish music... I was sold. Hook, line, and sinker. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, my world was rocked. 

As I was waiting in line to place my breakfast order, the blessed stranger in front of me turned around and told me with absolute certainty that I must try a Cortadito. I was a bit hesitant as I am sensitive to caffeine, but I figured I'd give this little shot of Cuban coffee a shot (pun intended).

After the first glorious sip, I knew-- this was the most amazing coffee I have ever had.

The Cuban Coffee I am referring to is pictured here in the blue circle (amongst a totally fab breakfast I might add). Cuban Coffee, when ordered to go, is ALWAYS served in a little white Styrofoam cup with a lid. 


I know some of my best food experiences have come about because I've heard about it from a friend, family member, or simply a stranger in line for breakfast. Are there any foods or beverages that make you want to stand on a mountaintop and proclaim it to the world?? Let me know!

To eating, drinking, and tasting the fullness of life,

K

P.S. More awesome tidbits for you about traveling in Florida coming soon!




1 comment:

  1. Hm, this sounds like something I must get my hand (and my taste buds) on! Also, that breakfast looks pretty delicious.

    I can't wait to hear more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete